Skip to content

FTX founder knew ‘basically nothing’ about crypto when started his business

FTX founder knew ‘basically nothing’ about crypto when started his business

FTX Exchange and Alameda Research founder — Sam Bankman-Fried (SBF) — spoke for the first time as a witness in his criminal fraud trial on October 27. Among the revelations, Bankman-Fried admitted he “knew nothing” about cryptocurrencies when he started Alameda in 2017.

SBF’s testimony was covered live by CNN Business for approximately seven hours. According to the coverage, Sam knew “basically nothing” about crypto when he decided to found Alameda Research in 2017.

“I had absolutely no idea how they worked…I just knew they were things you could trade. There was a ton of excitement, a ton of demand…”

— Sam Bankman-Fried (SBF)

Notably, FTX just came two years later, in 2019, with the main goal of creating a more trading-friendly platform that could be offered for sale to Binance. His plans changed when the number of customers started to increase.

“I thought there was maybe a 20% chance of success and an 80% chance it would shut down after a few months. Even that 20% chance was a huge opportunity, given that the biggest exchanges at the time were multibillion-dollar companies.”

— Sam Bankman-Fried (SBF)

Hedging: SBF was worried about Alameda’s management team skills

Interestingly, Bankman-Fried wrote a memo two months before Alameda Research’s collapse, suggesting it should shut down operations due to “serious risks” for the company.

“Alameda might be roughly insolvent. (…) I was worried Alameda might go bankrupt.”

— Sam Bankman-Fried (SBF)

During his testimony, the founder recalled he was worried about the lack of hedging strategies by Alameda’s CEO, Caroline Ellison, in case of a market crash. Caroline had previously mentioned how Sam was “freaking out about hedging” back then as if he was worrying too much about something irrelevant.

Curiously, when asked about his personal style, the FTX founder explained he was “kind of busy and lazy.”

SBF will be again in front of the jurors on October 30 to continue his testimony.

Best Crypto Exchange for Intermediate Traders and Investors

  • Invest in 70+ cryptocurrencies and 3,000+ other assets including stocks and precious metals.

  • 0% commission on stocks - buy in bulk or just a fraction from as little as $10. Other fees apply. For more information, visit etoro.com/trading/fees.

  • Copy top-performing traders in real time, automatically.

  • eToro USA is registered with FINRA for securities trading.

30+ million Users
eToro is a multi-asset investment platform. The value of your investments may go up or down. Your capital is at risk. eToro USA LLC does not offer CFDs, only real Crypto assets available. Don’t invest unless you’re prepared to lose all the money you invest.

Read Next:

Weekly Finance Digest

By subscribing you agree with Finbold T&C’s & Privacy Policy

Related posts

Disclaimer: The information on this website is for general informational and educational purposes only and does not constitute financial, legal, tax, or investment advice. This site does not make any financial promotions, and all content is strictly informational. By using this site, you agree to our full disclaimer and terms of use. For more information, please read our complete Global Disclaimer.