5 Cryptocurrency SEO Tips for Optimizing Your Website’s Visibility
Cryptocurrency SEO is the way to go if you want to drive significant traffic to your website. That’s because, every minute of every day, there’s bound to be someone around the web searching for more information on crypto topics. For instance, they may be curious about “What is Bitcoin?” or “What is Ethereum?”
There are no limits on what you can rank for. But you want the most highly targeted traffic. So, if you are into NFTs, it is best to write on NFT topics.
Crypto SEO is not a well-kept secret. There’s a lot of competition and this requires you to go the extra mile by optimizing your website so that it has the best chance to rank.
Introduction to Cryptocurrency Search Engine Optimization
Google processes over 8.5 billion searches every day. And the search engine holds a strong dominance over the search market accounting for 91.9% of the total market share as of January 2022.
The first page is where you want to be, and this can mean being among the first 8-10 results. Only 0.63% of people bother to click on the second page.
What is Cryptocurrency SEO?
The goal of cryptocurrency SEO is to increase the organic traffic to websites that offer information or services related to cryptocurrencies, such as exchanges, wallets, news sites, and educational resources. This can include keyword research, on-page optimization, link building, content marketing, and technical SEO.
As the cryptocurrency market continues to grow and evolve, the competition for online visibility and user attention is becoming increasingly fierce. Effective cryptocurrency SEO can help businesses and individuals stand out in this crowded landscape and attract more visitors to their websites.
Today, we’re sharing some SEO tips and main focus areas to give your site a better chance of acquiring quality SEO traffic. If you’re looking for help from crypto SEO services, you can always get expert help from CryptoSeo.io.
1. Keyword Research and Content Creation
A keyword is a phrase that someone types into the search engine to find information, answers, facts, products, or services. For instance, someone may search for “What is Bitcoin,” or something a bit specific like “What are the top crypto metaverse universes in 2022.”
There are a few tips to consider when performing keyword research and content creation for the best chance of ranking well:
Identifying the right search queries for your crypto website
Not every keyword is necessarily good for your business. The right search query has to meet a few specifications:
- Good search volume and difficulty
The keywords should have a sufficient interest—meaning that people are using the search phrases on Google. It should not be too difficult to rank for the search query on search results.
You can use the free keyword difficulty tool by Ahrefs to find out the keyword difficulty.
For instance, we’re analyzing the keyword, “dapp ideas.”
Additionally, you can use the Free Keyword Generator to find out the search volume of each keyword.
- Appropriate for your project and target audience
The keyword “dApp ideas” has a 0 keyword difficulty and good search volume—but you still need to find out if it’s appropriate for your project and if it can attract the right traffic.
CryptoKitties seems to have made this connection and has an article on “11 dApp ideas for you to steal.” It works for them because it draws in casual and power users. It furthers their goals as the ideas are based on their platform.
On-page optimization for crypto SEO: Create optimized title tags and meta descriptions
Search crawlers may look at various HTML tags to better determine what the page is about:
The title tag is quite important for search engines as it summarizes what the page is about and helps to categorize it into different topics.
You can optimize the title by:
- Using relevant keywords in the title tag to increase the relevance of the page for a certain topic;
- Placing the keyword near the beginning of the title as it may offer better performance than at the end according to findings by Moz.
The meta description acts like a snippet of the content of a page. It’s shown along with the title and URL in search results. You can define a meta description of up to 160 characters.
Google stopped using keywords in the meta tag for SEO ranking due to overstuffing. Still, you should provide a good preview of the page. But note that Google may automatically generate that meta description even if you provide one.
Writing SEO-friendly content
In August 2022, Google introduced the helpful content update geared at ensuring that searchers see more original and quality content written by humans for humans. Some of the top recommendations you need to follow to produce SEO-friendly content include:
- Producing content that leaves people feeling like they have accomplished their goal;
- Clearly demonstrating a depth of knowledge and expertise gained from doing something first-hand;
- Avoiding content that basically summarizes available information but not really contributing something new;
- Avoiding extensive automation;
- Creating content for a specific intended audience;
- Ensuring that your site demonstrates a clear focus and purpose;
- Avoiding content created for the purpose of just ranking well on search engines as Google finds that such content is strongly correlated with unsatisfying experiences.
There’s an entire guide from Google on creating helpful, reliable, and people-first content.
Using headings and subheadings to structure your content
In a webinar, Google’s Search Advocate John Mueller explained that headings H2 to H5 help Google understand the structure of a page, but he also says that it does not provide an awesome ranking boost. So, don’t abuse heading tags like sites that mark a large section of text with heading tags to show that it’s important.
You can further optimize your headings to enhance your on-page SEO by:
- Adding a subheading after every 250 to 300 words, or even sooner;
- Including main keywords and keyword synonyms in headings;
- Providing highly descriptive headings to provide clear context around a section of text.
Incorporating relevant images and videos
Photos and videos improve the quality of a piece of content. That’s because posts with images have up to a 650 percent increase in engagement than text-only posts. You can communicate some concepts better by using charts, diagrams, and infographics.
Images and videos also appear on search results providing another source of traffic. But keep in mind the need to add descriptive alt tags to images as it helps search engines better understand what the images are about.
2. Building High-Quality Backlinks for Your Cryptocurrency Website
Google introduced the revolutionary idea that you could tell the quality of a website by looking at backlinks from referring domains. Each link is essentially a vote of confidence or a website’s way of saying, “I trust this website for information on this topic.”
Not all referrals hold the same weight. Links from websites that are better established and trusted by Google carry the most link value. As Google doesn’t exactly disclose how they evaluate the quality of a website, the task has been left to third-party tools like Moz with its Domain Authority score and Aherfs with the Domain Rating score.
The quality metrics basically look at the number of backlinks and the quality of linking domains. Even keyword difficulty scores are based on trying to assess the number of backlinks top ranking pages have amassed.
Link building for your crypto project
Clearly, you need to build high-quality backlinks for your crypto website to improve your chances of ranking for certain keywords. But how do you undertake link building for your project?
- Write highly-authoritative content: Using techniques like the skyscraper technique or creating expert-led content, you can create super authoritative content that webmasters will link to naturally, as a reference.
- Perform outreach blogging & guest posting: The technique relies on publishing content on external domains with a link back to your website. Some guest posting opportunities are free, and in other cases, web admins may set prices on outreach blogs.
- Link insertion/niche edits: It’s possible to reach out and get links on existing pages ranking on Google. It’s a paid service offered by link-building agencies.
Building a strong online reputation for your crypto brand
Google monitors the web for citations of your project and press mentions. If there are lots of discussions or interest in your topic, it can speed up your SEO growth as your pages may be featured more prominently in search results.
How do you get more people to talk about your project? Well, you can do newsworthy things like offering an airdrop before an official coin launch. You can partner with crypto influencers and build a strong community around your project.
Reputation management is as critical as building links for your crypto brand. There is no use in having well-ranking pages but no one is signing up or using your services because you have racked up a bad reputation.
Social media marketing
Search engines check for social signals such as having a good following, many shares, and user engagement through comments. For instance, you’re more likely to get rewarded if your project has a lot of interest on relevant platforms like Reddit and Twitter.
In terms of backlinks, the best you can get from social media is pillow links. You can also obtain the links from online directories, forum citations, and comments.
Now, they don’t have a lot of value as most are nofollow or tagged as User Generated Content (UGC). That said, they are still valuable as they can make your backlink profile more natural and wholesome.
3. Making Your Site User-Friendly and Google-Friendly
Your website needs to have a proper design that’s easy to navigate, with simple forms, a good layout, and a nice color scheme.
Additionally, Google checks for the health of your Core Web Vitals to determine if you’re providing a good page experience. These metrics measure the page’s load speed, time to interactively, and visual stability.
The search engines further check the site’s mobile friendliness and security (https). Google is even careful about intrusive dialogs such as excessive popups that interrupt the page experience.
You should also make your website Google-friendly, not to be confused with making your site user-friendly. Basically, it entails making sure that crawlers have an easy time understanding your crypto website structure by implementing tips like submitting sitemaps to Google.
Link weight transfer
You need to understand how Google assigns weight (importance) to links. Basically, links carry weight based on:
- Donor’s authority: More trust is bestowed on aged domains with plenty of backlinks and mentions across the web.
- Topical relevance: More weight may be assigned if the donor page touches on the same themes as the linked page. As you distribute authority during internal linking, you must create logical internal links, checking if the destination page furthers a user’s goal (for instance, linking from the pricing page to the refund request page or ensuring that two pages share the same keywords).
- Anchor link used: The anchor link is a relevant ranking signal as it helps Google understand why you’re linking out to a certain page. For instance, you can use exact-match anchor text to increase the relevance of the linked page for its target keyword.
- Position of the link: More weight is assigned to links that appear near the top of the page and to contextual links in the content itself over links in the sidebar or the footer section.
Crawl budget optimization
Search engines have to crawl billions of pages. As they have limited resources, it’s held that each website is assigned an exhaustible crawl budget. On some sites, Google may crawl 5 pages every day, while, on other domains, it may crawl 1,000 pages.
You should optimize the crawl budget so that Google sees and indexes your most important information, which can reduce the time it takes a page to get featured in the results. Some of the top ways to optimize the crawl budget include:
- Preventing Google from crawling non-canonical pages that are duplicates of a main page;
- Reducing the page load speeds;
- Refreshing old content or creating posts frequently to give Google more reasons to crawl your website;
- Eliminating site-map mistakes.
You can change the Googlebot crawl rate from your Google Search Console if you want to reduce too many requests that may be slowing down your servers.
4. Optimizing Your Crypto Site for Mobile Devices
In Q4 of 2022, the percentage of mobile device traffic was 59.16% (Statista reports). In the US, the percentage of mobile Google searches has already surpassed desktop searches.
Owing to the popularity of mobile search, Google has switched to mobile-first indexing, meaning that they will first crawl the content on the mobile version in order to index and rank the entire site.
Here are some best practices that can help make your website more mobile-friendly:
- Make your pages responsive to different screen sizes;
- Reduce the number of steps required to complete a certain goal and make information easy to find;
- Pay attention to the website speed by focusing on the core web vitals;
- Use a clear and large enough font size;
- Compress images and serve the right size based on the screen size;
- Keep the content on the mobile version of the website consistent with the desktop version—and use the same descriptive headings;
- Implement the same robots meta tags and structured data on both versions of the website.
Core Web Vitals optimization
Google tracks a list of metrics to measure the overall page experience. The three main metrics in the report measure the load speed (Largest Contentful Paint), the time to interactivity (First Input Delay), and how stable content elements are on the page (Cumulative Layout Shift).
You can easily obtain a Web Core Vital Report that shows your performance based on real-world crawl data.
In the report, you can see specific recommendations depending on the detected issues. For instance, to improve the speed, you can reduce the size of images, use CDNs, host on low-latency servers, or implement browser caching.
5. Monitoring and Analyzing Your Website’s SEO Performance
Many crypto companies don’t take the time to review, monitor and analyze their SEO performance. For instance, once they’ve published an article that is ranking well, it may soon be forgotten. Slowly over time, it may depreciate in rankings until it’s no longer on the first page.
Crypto websites have likewise been caught unaware by the constant updates to Google ranking algorithms. For instance, following the shift to Core Web Vitals, slow-loading pages suffered penalties.
So, what are the most important SEO metrics to track?
- Your cryptocurrency website’s organic traffic
It’s the number of visits you receive from search engine results over time. Ideally, your traffic should steadily increase. Be on high alert for any sudden dips or surges.
- Ranking keywords in first-page positions
Consider tracking your top pages on search. The positions will change from time to time even on a daily basis. You may need to respond to a loss in ranking by updating your content or adding more backlinks.
- Audience metrics
You should have full visibility into your audience, checking the number of active users on a daily basis, their average session duration, total page views, and the bounce rate metric.
We highly recommend taking advantage of your Google Analytics account to have a full audience report that even includes devices, demographics, location, interests, behavior (new versus returning), and more.
- Your backlink profile
Don’t forget to track the number of backlinks and referring domains. You should watch out for link quality to disavow spammy domains that may hurt your site’s authority and reputation.
- SEO performance vs the competition
Keep an eye on your competitors and their SEO efforts. You can check for new keywords that they are ranking for, changes in their DR scores, or movements on their top pages.
Choose Crypto SEO Agency to Achieve Your Goals
Doing SEO correctly and consistently is a time-intensive process. It’s also something that you need to get right during the planning stages as you’ll be implementing strategies for months on end.
Depending on your capacity, you can either get help from individual contractors or a fully dedicated SEO agency, which is more preferable because of the experience and expertise they bring on board.
The crypto niche is highly specialized, requiring its own set of SEO strategies. Therefore, the best advice is to work with cryptocurrency SEO services with prior experience in the cryptocurrency niche.
Looking for a reliable partnership?
CryptoSEO has overseen successful crypto SEO projects that have delivered long-lasting traffic. We know what works, and have a set of successful playbooks and best practices on hand.
To determine the suitability of your project for a fully-fledged SEO campaign, you can book an initial 30-minute no-obligation consultation with the experts today.
The end goal of SEO is to rank more of your content on the first page and drive traffic from search engine result pages. Some of the most critical optimization tips you need to implement include finding the right keywords, creating a mobile-friendly website, building links, monitoring your SEO performance, and responding appropriately.
Ultimately, don’t forget that the focus is not on making search engines happy. It’s all about creating the most amazing experience for users, which will become increasingly important as search engines become more discerning.