In this guide, we take a look at NordLocker, an innovative file encryption software, and cloud storage provider. We’ll see what it is, review its features, and check out opportunities it offers for individuals as well as businesses.
What is NordLocker?
NordLocker is a part of the Nord Security suite that already includes NordVPN, one of the most popular VPN service providers in the world; NordPass, a fast-growing password manager; NordLayer, a complete VPN solution for businesses; and NordLockerWL, a toolkit for building VPN products.
How does NordLocker work?
Mainstream cloud storage providers offer seamless synchronization, something more privacy-respecting products often lack. By offering one-click security that allows the user to retain full control over their data, NordLocker can do both.
You can download and install NordLocker on your computer or access your secure cloud storage via a web browser directly. Native apps are available on macOS, Windows, iOS, and Android.
After you launch and log in to NordLocker, you can start creating lockers, and encrypted folders where all your images, videos, and documents can be stored privately. Drag any file or folder to instantly encrypt it or click on the “Upload” button. And that’s it. NordLocker will back up your locker in the cloud and sync it across your devices.
How much does NordLocker cost?
NordLocker has plans for individuals who want to protect their files as well as businesses that are looking to have more control over their company files.
In addition to the free plan with 3 GB of cloud storage, NordLocker offers two personal plans:
- 500 GB for €7.99/month or €2.99/month paid yearly (saving up to 40%).
- 2 TB for €19.99/month or €6.99/month paid yearly (saving 53%).
Similarly, businesses also have two plans to choose from:
- 500 GB for €12.99/month per user or €8.99/month per user paid yearly (saving up to 30%).
- 2 TB for €18.99/month per user or €14.99/month per user paid yearly (saving up to 21%).
Even though new features are still being developed, here’s what every user can get at NordLocker:
- Unlimited local encryption. Secure and manage files on your computer without limits. While it doesn’t offer the benefit of backup and synchronization, you could encrypt every personal file on your computer if you wanted to.
- Nearly instantaneous encryption of any file. No matter how large or small the file is, you can secure it with NordLocker. Most of the time, you won’t even notice it happening.
- End-end-encryption and zero-knowledge architecture. Since the encryption key is derived from the user’s password and generated locally, nobody can access the user’s files without permission. File names are encrypted, too, so even the people on the same device won’t know what you store in your lockers.
- Backup and access across all devices. NordLocker apps are available on all major operating systems, and where they are not available, you can access your cloud storage via any web browser.
- Space Saver allows users to choose where they store files. By default, users’ lockers are stored on their device and in the cloud. But just as the user can choose to store files on their own devices only, they can choose to offload files to the cloud and save device space.
- Sharing. NordLocker offers several ways individuals as well as businesses can share files securely and privately.
- Admin panel. Company account administrators can manage the entire cloud storage of the company.
- Business account recovery. Businesses can restore accounts if their employees have forgotten their master password and recovery key.
- Data residency. Business owners can choose where their data is stored.
Why should companies choose NordLocker?
NordLocker is an obvious choice for a privacy-minded individual because the app offers notable flexibility, allowing users to adapt it to their own preferences. Furthermore, NordLocker could be a great solution for small businesses and departments handling sensitive company data. Project management becomes easier and more efficient because team members can share files without having to think of ways to protect files separately.
However, even larger companies can benefit from a secure cloud storage service such as NordLocker. For example, as cyberattack rates against businesses keep growing, NordLocker’s end-to-end encryption could protect company data from ransomware and other prominent types of malware.
Is NordLocker safe?
The short answer is yes. The company uses various ways to protect its clients. To ensure user data security, NordLocker employs the world’s most trusted encryption algorithms and ciphers. For example, AES-256 encrypts files and filenames, xCha-Cha20-Poly1305 cipher suite protects identity and keychain data, and Ed25519 keeps digital signatures private.
But what does that mean for less tech-savvy users? In simple terms, NordLocker is built with zero-knowledge architecture. The app encrypts and syncs files without giving access to the cloud service or third parties.
On top of that, the user’s account is protected in multiple ways. First, the master password is the primary way to log in to their account — only the user knows it. Every NordLocker user also must have a Nord Account, which works as an extra layer of security. Lastly, multi-factor authentication enables users to pick additional ways to protect their files.
NordLocker’s customer support
If you ever need help, NordLocker has various resources you can use:
- Help Center. Find answers to more frequently asked questions, feature tutorials, and ways to get the most out of NordLocker.
- 24/7 customer support. If you’d rather talk to a customer service agent, NordLocker’s team is there for you around the clock.