Skip to content

JP Morgan names Spirit Airlines a tactical trade due to possible merger

JP Morgan names Spirit Airlines a tactical trade due to possible merger
Dino Kurbegovic

Spirit Airlines (NYSE: SAVE) has been in the news lately prompting the shares to gain over 26% in the last month. Namely, there is a high probability that the company will be part of a merger, as JPMorgan’s (NYSE: JPM) analyst, James Baker, upgrades the shares to Overweight from Neutral due to these developments.

Currently, there seems to be a bidding war for the company’s shares as JetBlue Airways (NASDAQ: JBLU) upped its offer for SAVE on June 6 to convince shareholders to forgo the bid submitted by Frontier Air Group (NASDAQ: ULCC). 

Meanwhile, analyst James Baker believes that a deal will be had once shareholders approve one of the submitted offers, ascribing a high probability of it actually occurring. 

“Ascribing an 80% probability of achieving a $31.50 (JetBlue offer) outcome and 20% to current levels, our Spirit price target rises from $24 to $30 and our rating from Neutral to Overweight, relative to a field of five ‘Neutrals.’”  

SAVE chart and analysis 

In short, trading of SAVE shares in 2022, has been erratic, with shares moving from $16 at one point to $27, with noticeable trading volume spikes. As it seems, the support line is established at around $16, while resistance is at about $28. Now, shares are bouncing between the 50-day and 200-day Simple Moving Averages (SMAs). 

SAVE 20-50-200 SMA lines chart. Source. data. See more stocks here.

Similarly, analysts rate the shares a moderate buy, predicting that in the next 12 months, the average price of the shares will be $26, which is 16.70% higher than the current trading price of $22.28.

Wall Street SAVE analysts’ price targets for SAVE. Source: TipRanks

On the whole, a merger between Spirit Airlines and either of the two airlines which submitted their bids could make sense from a synergy side.

In terms of the offers themselves, the devil is in the details, and certainly, the shareholders are expected to approve the one which will create the most value for them and the company going forward. 

Given the current state of affairs, it would seem that a more reasonable price for SAVE shares would be somewhere around $30.

Disclaimer: The content on this site should not be considered investment advice. Investing is speculative. When investing, your capital is at risk. 

Best Crypto Exchange for Intermediate Traders and Investors

  • Invest in 70+ cryptocurrencies and 3,000+ other assets including stocks and precious metals.

  • 0% commission on stocks - buy in bulk or just a fraction from as little as $10.

  • Copy top-performing traders in real time, automatically.

  • Regulated by financial authorities including FCA and FINRA.

2.8 Million Users
eToro is a multi-asset investment platform. The value of your investments may go up or down. Your capital is at risk. eToro USA LLC does not offer CFDs, only real Crypto assets available. Don’t invest unless you’re prepared to lose all the money you invest.

Read Next:

Weekly Finance Digest

By subscribing you agree with Finbold T&C’s & Privacy Policy

Related posts