In this guide, we will examine the top 5 mobile VPNs in 2022 by first analyzing the major benefits of using VPN and then assessing the different features of each VPN company. You will learn about the main products that each provider offers, as well as their privacy and security aspects.
Virtual Private Network (VPN) technology has been available for a few decades, but its popularity has lately surged. VPNs are used among individuals who want to disguise their actual location in exchange for enhanced security and privacy or to circumvent certain restrictions.
Indeed, the VPN industry is expected to grow, reaching 75.59 billion U.S. dollars by 2027. Meanwhile, according to the Security.org VPN usage 2020 report, 69 % of internet users in the United States over the age of 18 utilize a VPN service for personal or work-related purposes.
The current Coronavirus pandemic has also acted as a catalyst, raising public interest in VPNs as quarantined countries throughout the world commenced remote work. Additionally, as more people are becoming home-bound, the demand for streaming and gaming has also grown, necessitating an increasing interest in VPN providers.
What is a VPN and how does it work?
VPN is an encrypted connection over the Internet whereby a private internet user can extend one’s access to shared or public networks. Strictly speaking, a VPN encrypts your internet traffic by concealing your IP address and physical location, allowing the user to hide their tracks from any third-party intervention.
The service works by establishing encrypted data tunnels between the user’s home network and the proxy servers of a VPN provider. This means that an individual’s IP is replaced with the VPN’s IP address, implying that neither your internet provider nor any hackers or cybercriminals can access your web browsing activities or personal data, such as passwords, card details, or similar information stored online.
Simply explained: What is a VPN and do I need one?
Why People use VPN
The increased adoption of VPN by internet users is due to a multitude of factors. First and foremost, the general population is becoming more aware of the possible security risks associated with the Internet. With countless data leaks occurring on a daily basis, people take precautions to safeguard their online identity and data. As a result, using a VPN to connect to the Internet allows you to encrypt your data, giving an added degree of protection and peace of mind.
Furthermore, using a VPN allows users to bypass geo-restrictions. This is especially popular among individuals who want to watch Netflix, Amazon Prime, or other comparable services while also accessing country-specific content.
Finally, with many employees working remotely, especially since they are unable to return to their jobs due to the pandemic, having a VPN may help with remote access difficulties while also allowing safe sending and receiving of important company data.
The benefits of using VPN
Opting to use a VPN can provide a number of advantages, as summarised below:
- If you frequently use public Wi-Fi, installing a virtual private network service on your device provides you with complete privacy and protection from potential hackers;
- Using a VPN conceals your IP address, allowing you to access the Internet without being tracked;
- Those who are concerned with their internet provider being able to view their complete online activity, which other businesses may then utilize, should think about using a VPN to make such information untraceable;
- Avid gamers and online visual media enthusiasts who wish to stream or view content from all over the world may do so by selecting a trustworthy VPN provider and thereby overcoming geo-restrictions.
Best Mobile VPNs – Top 5 Picks
Having covered the fundamentals and the benefits of VPNs, we will delve deeper into the top 5 VPN services worth considering.
1. Atlas VPN
Atlas VPN is a freemium VPN service based in Delaware, United States, that provides both a free and a premium subscription. The VPN has over 700 servers in 28 countries and offers apps for Android, iOS, macOS, Windows smartphones, tablets, and desktop PCs.
The firm provides a fast, comfortable, and anonymous Internet browsing experience for over 5 million customers, removing some of the technological complexity that may intimidate novices and those less familiar with VPNs.
Atlas VPN Premium is known for its high-speed performance and infinite connection capacity, in conjunction with a Safebrowse and a safety check-up function.
There are no internet connection speed constraints as users get access to 32 locations and 700+ servers worldwide geared for ultra-fast 4K streaming. Also, users may additionally use Atlas VPN on an unlimited number of devices at the same time while also having access to 24/7 customer support.
Below is a list of the key features of Atlas VPN:
- Safebrowse: is a security feature that allows you to block potentially dangerous websites, meaning you will be denied access if you come across a website on the blocklist;
- Unlimited devices: Atlas offers limitless VPN protection, which means there is no restriction on the number of concurrent device connections you may make;
- Logging: Atlas VPN has a comprehensive no-logs policy, which means that no private data is stored. They do not collect any personal information, nor do they track and exploit online user behavior for business purposes;
- SafeSwap: when you connect to a SafeSwap server, your IP address is cycled for the duration of your connection. To get a comparable result with other VPN services, one would have to disconnect and reconnect to a different server;
- Data breach scanner: this is a built-in Atlas VPN feature that checks whether your data has been compromised due to a data breach;
- Encryption and security protocols: the service uses military-grade AES-256 bit encryption, which scrambles your data into 256-bit chunks that even powerful computers may struggle to understand. While the IPSec/IKEv2 secure tunneling protocol protects users from data breaches, such as DNS or IP leaks, as well as connection interception and tracking;
- Network Kill switch: this safety feature avoids data breaches by shutting down Internet traffic if your connection to the VPN server is lost; the functionality is available in all applications, including the free edition.
You can download Atlas VPN and try it for free here to enjoy unrestricted online access, privacy, and security, or additionally upgrade to the premium version to unlock all of the app’s features. Find out more about Atlas VPN products and services by reading our comprehensive Atlas VPN review.
ProtonVPN is a Swiss-based firm with over 1255 servers in over 55 countries and a 1,468 Gbps capacity. The firm claims to be the ‘World’s only community supported secure VPN service.’ The ProtonVPN initiative arose from a desire to safeguard better activists and journalists who use ProtonMail.
The company’s values are honesty, transparency, security first, technical excellence, community, and privacy & security for everyone.
The company offers a no-logs policy; all apps are open source and audited, with high-speed connections (up to 10Gbps). Your Internet connection is secured when you use ProtonVPN to surf the web. Moreover, ProtonVPN’s sophisticated security measures ensure that an attacker cannot monitor your connection by passing it through encrypted tunnels. In addition to it enabling you to view websites that may be restricted in your country.
Below is a list of the key characteristics of ProtonVPN:
- Secure Core: secures your connection by routing it via many servers before it leaves ProtonVPN’s network, thus defending against network-based attacks by hiding the actual IP address of users;
- Adblocker (NetShield): is a DNS filtering tool that protects you from viruses, disables advertisements, and prevents website trackers from tracking you online;
- Strong Encryption: AES-256 is utilized to encrypt network traffic, 4096-bit RSA is used for key exchange, and HMAC with SHA384 is used for message authentication;
- Forward Secrecy: if the encryption key from a future session is obtained, users’ encrypted traffic cannot be collected and decoded later. When you connect to a ProtonVPN server, it creates a new encryption key for each connection;
- Robust Protocols: you can be confident that your VPN tunnel is protected by the most trustworthy protocol when you use ProtonVPN; they only employ VPN protocols that are recognized to be secured – IKEv2/IPSec and OpenVPN;
- Full disk encryption: this function protects server certificates as well as any other settings and software stored on an exit server, ensuring that attackers cannot access any data stored on it even if the server is corrupted;
- No logs policy: ProtonVPN users are not obligated to give any log data history under Swiss legislation, and the no logs policy applies to all users, including those of their free VPN;
- DNS leak prevention: is protected by ProtonVPN, which routes them through an encrypted tunnel rather than depending on third-party DNS providers;
- Kill Switch and Always on feature: a built-in Kill Switch and an Always-on VPN function are included in ProtonVPN apps. Kill Switch stops all network traffic if you lose connection with the VPN server, whereas Always-on automatically re-establishes a VPN server connection;
- Tor on VPN: users may tunnel all of their traffic over the Tor anonymity network and access dark web sites with ProtonVPN’sProtonVPN’s servers that support Tor.
To learn more about Proton VPN visit protonvpn.com.
Based in the United States, Betternet VPN is a subsidiary of the Pango group, which also operates several other VPN services. The company has a global user base of more than 38 million people and provides specialized VPN applications on Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android.
There are over 3.3 million applications available on the Google Play and App Store, and in less than a year, Betternet has become the number 1 downloaded in the VPN app charts. Moreover, the firm’s proprietary VPN applications for mobile devices are straightforward to set up, user-friendly, and can successfully shield your IP address by encrypting your data.
As no registration is required when using Betternet, customers can speedily get the app up and running. The firm implements industry-standard AES-128 and AES-256 ciphers to encrypt traffic, while its Virtual Location feature allows you to browse websites and use applications as if you were in another country.
Whatsmore, betternet is able to deliver a robust and dependable service since it controls all of the software and hardware it operates.
The following is a list of key features on Betternet premium VPN:
- Bandwidth cap: P2P activity is supported on all of its servers, and premium users can torrent unlimitedly;
- Perfect forward secrecy: adds an extra degree of protection by regularly changing your encryption keys, therefore users’ encrypted traffic cannot be captured and decrypted later if the encryption key from a future session is obtained;
- Virtual locations: there are over 80 virtual locations to choose from;
- Customer Support: within the app, customers have access to Betternet’s email support staff, who are available 24/7;
- Unlock content: users can access streaming services from around the globe bypassing restrictions on platforms that have geo blocking;
- 6 linked devices: with a single subscription, users may connect up to 6 devices at once;
- Blocks malware and phishing: the firm’s anti-malware and anti-phishing software means users can surf the web without fear of harmful websites;
- Data Encryption: Betternet implements military-grade AES-128 and AES-256 ciphers to safely secure the connection;
- Ultra fast streaming: Betternet’s extremely fast speeds mean users can escape ISP speed throttling that is employed in networks to regulate traffic and minimize bandwidth congestion;
- Increased speeds: on all platforms, the VPN employs the Catapult Hydra protocol, a safe protocol that is gaining popularity due to its speed and functionality.
To learn more about the VPN visit betternet.co.
NordVPN is inspired by the Nordic values of confidence, trust, and innovation. With over 14 million users worldwide, it is one of the most reputable internet security companies on the market. NordVPN is acknowledged by prominent tech blogs and IT security professionals for its solid ideals and carefully considered features.
NordVPN was a founding member of the VPN Trust Initiative (VTI). VTI’s mission is to educate the public about cybersecurity while also creating quality standards for the whole VPN business. One NordVPN account can secure up to six devices at once, giving you six times the security.
No matter what operating system you use – Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, or Linux – NordVPN will mask your location, IP address and encrypt your traffic.
In order for users to take precautions online to protect themselves and their data when accessing applications, websites, and more in a secure manner.
Below is a list of the most popular features on NordVPN:
- Next generation encryption: all customer data remains behind a wall of encryption; NordVPN employs AES with 256-bit keys, as recommended by the NSA to protect classified information. To securely send your data to VPN servers, NordVPN uses three distinct security protocols that users can choose from to tunnel: IKEv2/IPsec, OpenVPN, and NordLynx;
- No logs policy: NordVPN does not save connection timestamps, session information, bandwidth consumption, traffic data, IP addresses, or any other private information;
- Multiple devices: connect up to 6 devices at one time with just one account;
- VPN servers: customers may select from over 5200 servers in 60 locations, with no restrictions, no borders, and no internet censorship;
- Obfuscated servers: conceal the fact that you are using a VPN to redirect your data. They enable users to connect to a VPN even in highly restricted areas;
- Kill Switch: NordVPN has an automated kill switch that protects your device from establishing unsecured connections. It constantly checks your connection to the distant server, and if it is unintentionally disconnected, the VPN Kill Switch prevents your device from accessing the internet;
- Multi-factor authentication: is an additional protective measure for your online accounts. When enabled, you must enter your password and then authorize the login attempt using a specific app, time-sensitive code, or secondary device;
- VPN split tunneling: allows you to stream videos and exchange files while still being able to access local material. You may choose which URLs you wish to browse using your real IP address and which parts of your internet traffic to use via the safe encrypted tunnel;
- NordVPN support: has three primary ways to obtain professional advice: the Help Center, email support, and live chat. The company’s customer service representatives will respond within 24 hours;
- Double protection: double VPN is a sophisticated VPN security feature that runs your traffic through two VPN servers rather than one, encrypting your data twice and mixing the connections between UDP and TCP protocols;
- Mask your IP: using a VPN is the safest and quickest option to disguise your IP address and replace it with a new one while also encrypting all data sent and received.
To find out more visit Nordvpn.com.
Surfshark VPN has over 3200+ servers in 65 countries. The service includes sophisticated security features, dependable network and speeds, unblocking abilities, and a strong dedication to customer privacy and security.
Users may also connect as many devices as they like simultaneously. Providing unique features, developing intelligently designed apps, and emphasizing client privacy are just a few of the services available.
The true merits of Surfshark are the features that are uncommon amongst standard VPNs. To illustrate, Whitelister is a split tunneling application that allows you to control which apps and websites use your VPN connection. This is useful since certain websites prohibit VPN access.
The following is a list of key features on Surfshark VPN:
- Whitelister: allows certain applications and websites to circumvent the VPN. It’s ideal for use with mobile banking apps;
- CleanWeb: browse the web in a secure cyber environment free of advertising, trackers, viruses, and phishing attempts;
- No-logs policy: is strictly enforced as Surfshark does not monitor, trace, or save anything users do online, ensuring there will be no connection or activity logs;
- Kill Switch: serves as a backup in case your VPN connection fails. Your actions and sensitive information are never made public;
- Private DNS & Leak prevention: Surfshark employs private DNS on each server and leak protection while using the IPv4 stack;
- Camouflage Mode: ensures that even your Internet service provider is unaware that you are using a VPN;
- MultiHop: to enhance ID protection and footprint masking, connect via several countries simultaneously;
- NoBorders mode: this setting enables Surfshark to operate successfully in restricted areas;
- Hide your IP address: by hiding your actual IP address, which can be linked to your digital identity, users protect their privacy;
- Encryption: Surfshark protects users personal information with sector-leading AES-256-GCM encryption;
- Secure protocols: on all Surfshark apps, IKEv2/IPsec is the default protocol; however, users can continue to utilize OpenVPN;
- Customer support: expert assistance is available 24/7 by live chat and email where customers can consult with a professional.
To discover more about the service visit Surfshark.com.
Customers are not always aware of what happens behind the scenes of a VPN service. Several scandals in recent years have rocked the VPN sector, increasing user skepticism of the services.
However, this is counterbalanced by the developments in technology which in turn leads to improved VPN service. Consequently, consumers put more trust into service in order to safeguard their online identity and bypass certain geo-location restrictions.
Our compiled list of the top 5 Mobile VPNs demonstrates solid privacy and security services that prioritize the client to protect online identities, security, and data. These VPN services offer not just online privacy and security but also fast connections with limitless bandwidth.
Mobile VPNs each have their own benefits, features, and perks that set them apart in the market. On the other hand, consumers should be more aware of their digital footprints, and with a VPN, they may choose where they wish to leave theirs online.
Personal taste in terms of features, services, and price subscriptions play an essential part when choosing the fastest mobile VPN provider. So turn on the VPN, surf the Internet, download files, view movies, and enjoy a speedy connection with one of the aforementioned top 5 mobile VPN apps.
Note: If you are looking for the best free VPN, be sure to read our best free VPNs guide, which details the features of top free VPN platforms so you can determine which one best suits your needs. Looking for the best VPN for Windows? Check this guide.