Summary: Bank of Valletta (BOV) doesn’t offer customers the chance to buy cryptocurrencies on its own platform. Instead, Bank of Valletta customers can connect their banking accounts to a licensed crypto broker to purchase digital assets like Bitcoin (BTC) and Ethereum (ETH).
In short, to buy crypto with BOV, investors in Malta will need to sign up with a regulated crypto-friendly exchange like eToro and deposit EUR from their BOV account.
Intermediate Traders and Investors
Can you buy crypto with Bank of Valletta?
You can buy crypto with BOV, but you need to connect to a licensed broker that offers cryptocurrencies. As mentioned above, this is because Bank of Valletta does not offer cryptocurrency services directly through its online banking platform.
How to buy crypto with Bank of Valletta?
The best way to buy Bitcoin or any other cryptocurrency with Bank of Valletta in Malta is through Malta Financial Services Authority (MFSA)-regulated broker like eToro, which is a widely trusted multi-asset investing platform with over 70 cryptocurrencies and unique features such as “Copy Trading,” which enables users to copy top-performing crypto traders, in addition to a staking service, custom watchlist, as well as advanced charts and technical analysis tools.
How to buy crypto with BOV online banking: Step-by-Step
You can get started in minutes with four simple steps:
- Step 1: Create an account on eToro and complete your verification (personal or company);
- Step 2: Enter the EUR amount you want to deposit on the eToro platform;
- Step 3: Connect your BOV online account to deposit your selected fiat currency;
- Step 4: The final step is to find the cryptocurrency you want to purchase and execute your trade.
Intermediate Traders and Investors
About Bank of Valletta
Bank of Valletta (BOV) is a Maltese bank headquartered in Santa Venera. Founded in 1974, it is the oldest financial institution in Malta. The bank operates the largest retail network on the island, with 36 branches, offering financial and banking services for personal and business customers.
Bank of Valletta’s homepage. Source: Bov.com
Services offered by Bank of Valletta include:
- Personal banking: Checking accounts, mortgages, loans, life insurance, and retirement products;
- Business banking: Business loans, business credit cards, overdrafts;
- Wealth management: Advisory services and portfolio management.
Bank of Valletta’s crypto policy
Bank of Valletta’s crypto policy does not provide cryptocurrency investing services directly from its platform. However, customers wishing to trade crypto can deposit funds from their BOV accounts to licensed crypto brokers to invest in digital assets.
How to buy crypto safely
As a relatively new and untested territory, cryptocurrency markets are highly speculative, and little regulatory framework exists for their trading globally. Nevertheless, Malta has a set of rules which allow crypto and digital asset industry to expand.
Still, in a market space teeming with fraud and subject to tremendous price volatility, investors are at risk. Fortunately, there are steps you can take to ensure you’re staying safe when investing in crypto. Here are a few essential guidelines for getting started with digital assets and how to best protect yourself and your money:
- Research the cryptocurrency you want to buy: Make sure you understand how it works and what the risks are;
- Only use a safe device: Avoid public computers and Wi-Fi networks. Always use your personal computer with a VPN, which helps establish a secure connection between you and the web, keeping your sensitive information safe;
- Choose a reputable exchange: Ensure the exchange is licensed by the appropriate regulators in your country and has a solid track record. Study the exchange’s user terms and agreements carefully to learn more about where your money is kept and what happens to your funds if the business goes bankrupt. You may also want to scour through user reviews to catch any red flags;
- Secure your account: Use two-factor authentication and a strong password to protect your account;
- Use a secure wallet: Store your cryptocurrency in a secure wallet to protect it from hackers. You can opt for either a hot (online) or cold (offline) wallet. To choose the right one for you, make sure to check out our in-depth guide on crypto wallets;
- Don’t invest money you can’t afford to lose: Because the crypto market can be so volatile, you need to be conservative with your investments, particularly when starting out. For more investing tips, have a look at our guide on investing mistakes to avoid;
- Monitor your investments: Keep an eye on the market and be aware of any changes in the price of the cryptocurrency you’re investing in.
Disclaimer: The content on this site should not be considered investment advice. Investing is speculative. When investing, your capital is at risk.
FAQs about how to buy crypto with Bank of Valletta:
How to buy crypto with BOV?
You can buy crypto with BOV by depositing EUR to a licensed third-party trading platform that offers cryptocurrencies.
Can you buy crypto with BOV?
While Bank of Valletta doesn’t offer crypto trading directly through its own platform, customers can connect their BOV bank accounts to a regulated cryptocurrency exchange to buy digital assets.
What crypto exchanges does Bank of Valletta allow?
Customers can deposit funds from their Bank of Valletta accounts to licensed crypto brokers, such as eToro.
What is Bank of Valletta’s crypto policy?
Bank of Valletta’s crypto policy allows its customers to use their accounts to buy, sell and trade digital assets through regulated exchanges.